MiX Telematics is recruiting for an Engineering Intern
This is a 12-month contract position based in Stellenbosch.
We are looking for an Engineering Intern that will be part of a focused development team primarily responsible for script maintenance and development using a proprietary scripting language.
The scripting system allows for a flexible way to extend the capability of installed on-board computers to gather data by enabling interpretation of signal data from the vehicle CAN network or other off-the-shelf sensors and deriving information that is used to lower fleet operating cost and improve driver behavior and safety.
Engineering Interns will also receive the opportunity learn how to develop embedded C code that provides core functionality to the on-board computer. On completion of the training, you could be considered for a permanent position as junior firmware engineer.
• Reverse engineering of vehicle CAN signals and developing CAN scripts to enable on-board computers to interpret signal data and derive valuable information
• Develop scripts to enable on-board computers to interface with off-the-shelf sensors
• Maintain and develop software tools including tools that interface with CAN loggers and automate the reverse engineering process where possible
• Participate in design and quality reviews
• Firmware development training: Learn to develop embedded C code that provides core functionality to the on-board computer
• B. Engineering degree (Electronic, Industrial, Computer science or other relevant)
• Masters’ degree would be a distinct advantage
• A good command of the English and or Afrikaans language
• MATLAB and labVIEW experience advantageous
• Must pay attention to detail
• Have the ability to work well in a team or on your own
• Must have the ability to communicate ideas clearly
• An enthusiastic ‘can do’ attitude towards your work
You will be joining a small team of qualified engineers, passionate about problem solving and continual improvement, keen to share knowledge and help you growth.
What’s in it for you:
● At MiX Telematics, we create technology. You would be joining a global SaaS company pioneering cloud-based technology that’s impacting the world of telematics and data. MiX Telematics consistently strives to innovate and is recognized as a global leader doing just that, enabling an environment where our people can push the boundaries and grow within a collaborative, boundaryless team. We seek talented, passionate technologists who aren’t afraid to challenge, learn and strive for excellence.
● MiX Telematics is where some of the world’s smartest, most passionate and dedicated people create the world’s most innovative products
● We strive to be the very best at what we do. We believe in a healthy work-life balance and we believe in each other, supporting one another, working collaboratively towards a common goal
● At MiX we aspire to create an environment where we celebrate wins for each other and ultimately for the Company
● We offer our teams Flexible working according to our policy, in some cases full remote working in line with the operational requirements is possible. We trust our team members to get the work done
● We strive to offer above-market salaries because our team members are unique and deserve to be recognized as such
● A high degree of collaboration and autonomy while working with a group of diverse peers, and access to cutting edge technologies
● Whatever hardware you require to make the magic happen
● 100% guarantee no TPS reports!
Who we are:
Our products and services provide enterprise and small fleets, with solutions for efficiency, safety, compliance, and security to over 1 million global subscribers. MiX Telematics was founded in 1996 and has offices in South Africa, the United Kingdom, the United States, Uganda, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, and the United Arab Emirates as well as a network of more than 130 fleet partners worldwide.
MiX Telematics is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to diversity based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Apply NOW, we look forward to hearing from you!
All applicants will be dealt with in terms of the company’s employment equity and skills development plans, affirmative action candidates may be preferred. Although all applications will be considered, not all applicants will be interviewed. Only written applications received before the closing date will be considered.